|Type of record:||Monument|
The remains of a medieval stone cross, standing at the side of the Cawston to Norwich road on the boundary between Haveringland and Brandiston. The remains consist of a 1.38m high octagonal shaft set on a slightly wider base.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1452 2101|
|Parish:||HAVERINGLAND, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
On a 1738 map of Brandiston town land, this is called Stantlin Cross. (S1) describes it as being 1.8m (6 feet) high, with another fragment of shaft stuck in the ground nearby, possibly with no connection.
Schedule 1952 says it is 1.1m (3 feet 6 inches) high. Schedule 1998 (S2) gives the height as 1.38m.
(S1) believes it could be Bee Cross (NHER 7522) removed to this site. (He calls it Brandiston though it is just across the boundary in Haveringland).
31 March 1977. Visit. Octagonal shaft on base only slightly wider. It is now about 1.2m (4 feet) high, and the top foot has been cemented on in recent years. It has obviously lost a couple of feet since (S1)'s
photograph. Overgrown between road and fence.
E. Rose (NAU).
(S3) notes have a drawing of a cross, a leaning round shaft with tapering top broken off; formed of two sections, it resembles a chimney. He describes it as consisting of 'flint and cobblestones' and 'covered with honeycomb plaster', and says 'There is a cross called Lance's Cross in this parish, query if this be it'. The name Stantlin Cross could be a corruption of this, or vice versa.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 August 1980.
Ancient Monument description (S2) and copy correspondence (S4) in file.
September 2013. Field visit.
At some point before the 19 September 2013 the remains of the medieval cross known as ‘Stump Cross’ were knocked over and broken into at least three separate sections.
See (S5) for full details.
D. Robertson (HES), 25 September 2014.
December 2014/January 2015.
The remains of the cross were removed from site and put into store, with the consent of English Heritage, pending repairs.
D. Robertson (HES), 15 May 2015.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF236. |
|---||Designation: Corbishley, M.J.. 1983. AM107. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 12 SW 7. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Archive: Norfolk Monuments Management Project File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Haveringland. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||*Digital Archive: Norfolk Monuments Management Project Photographic Archive. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF236. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 303; Pl 3. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF236. |
|<S3>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. |
|<S4>||Correspondence: 1962. Regarding damage to cross. Between landowner, R.R. Clarke and Ministry of Works.. 1962. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: Robertson, D. A. 2014. Damage report: Stump Cross, Haveringland, Norfolk. |
Related records - none
Find out more...