Record Details

NHER Number:7132
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Great Ryburgh

Summary

An interesting church with very early origins, consisting of a round west tower, nave, chancel, north and south transepts and a south porch. A modern boilerhouse has been set against the north side of the tower base. The carstone used in the base of the tower suggests Saxon origins, as does that in the north west wall of the nave.The nave doorways date to the 13th century. The transepts were added in the 14th century, after which the present chancel was built in the 15th century. The nave was rebuilt in the late 15th century, probably at the same time that the tower's attractive octagonal top was added. There were two major restorations in the 19th century, and during the latter in 1890, the south porch was built. The chancel east window, ceiling and steps were added in 1912.
Inside are high quality 17th and 18th century tomb slabs, a Victorian font and lectern and a very fine World War One memorial south transept screen. There are two good 19th century iron gates to the west of the churchyard.

Images

  • St Andrew's Church, Great Ryburgh, an interesting church with very early origins  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TF 96 27
Map Sheet:TF92NE
Parish:RYBURGH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Round tower and west wall of church with both Late Saxon and Norman features. Nave doorways 13th century. Transepts 14th century. Chancel 15th century. South transept perhaps extended in 16th century. Tower heightened, perhaps at the same date the nave was rebuilt with rood windows, late 15th century.
Important early 19th century reordering. Later 19th century alterations. Additional works in 1912.
See report (S1) and photographs (S2) in file. (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 20 April 1989.

June 2010. Historic building recording.
Prior to an application for grant-aid to repair and stabilise the northern transept gable-end and the repair and retiling of the nave a southern transept roofs. The church consists of a round western tower with a later 14th century bell stage. aiseless nave and very long transepts and a chancel. The earliest remains are the 12th century round tower and similarly dated masonry at the western end of the nave. The lower courses of the tower are characterised by the abundant use of ferruginous conglomerate. It occurs even in ashlar for the dressings of the tower arch and the north west quoins showing that the stone was quarried in the early 12th century. In the 15th century the nave walls were heightened and four tall panel-traceried nave windows were inserted. The chancel is essentially of 15th century construction that underwent a full scale remodelling in 1860 and in 1912 by Comper.
See (S4).
S. Howard (NLA), 26 July 2010.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD to 2100 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TF 9627X-Z.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 119-126.
---Publication: Cautley, H. M. 1949. Norfolk Churches. p 5.
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1758.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1936. The Parish Churches of Norfolk & Norwich. p 202.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. £1.4m church repairs boost. 19 February.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 369-370.
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. pp 90, 108.
---Monograph: Taylor, H.M. and Taylor, J.. 1978. Anglo Saxon Architecture..
---Leaflet: Butler-Stoney, R. & Freezer D.. 1992. St Andrew's Church, Great Ryburgh.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Ryburgh.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Photograph: EQL 1-6.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305377.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2010. The Church of St Andrew, Great Ryburgh: conservation based analysis and report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service