Record Details

NHER Number:6917
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Hall, Old Hall Street


The original part of this brick and flint house was the southeast range, which is of 16th century date. In the 17th century a new service wing, the northeast range, was added with a dairy and kitchen. A rear wing was added later, and in the 20th century, the house was remodelled in the fashionable Arts and Crafts style, but using a mixture of modern and reused timber. Inside can be found wall panelling, a 17th century staircase in a timber framed stairwell and moulded beams in the dining room.
Nearby stands a flint and brick barn of about 1700 with later alterations.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3025 3356
Map Sheet:TG33SW

Full description

September 1976. Visited.
North front, flint with brick window surrounds, has stepped gables and a blocked window, and brick multiple chimney. 17th century.
The eastern half of this looks newer than the western; perhaps repointed when the southern part of the hall was added in more recent years.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 September 1976.

Listed grade II (S1) 1986 as late 16th century and later, east range earlier. Diamond flue on internal north gable stack in addition to that mentioned above. 19th century north cross wing. Running parallel to east wing a second cross wing originally 17th century but now entirely 19th century.
Interior of house has 17th century stairs in timber framed well, moulded handrail and flat balusters in groups of three, square newels. Dining room with cruciform bridging beam moulded into roll and hollow chamfers; joists ovolo and roll moulded; small frame panelling with arcuated frieze. Four centred fireplace below overmantle. Lounge has overmantle of reused 16th and 17th century pieces and reused 16th century tiebeam. East range roof of principals and two tiers butt purlins, upper tier staggered curved windbracing and collars.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 August 1986.

Barn at hall of about 1700, flint with brick dressings, roof of corrugated tiles. Central double doors east side, opposing west doors blocked. Buttresses flanking doors removed. Blocked slit windows. Arched braces to ties pass through inserted upper floor which hides roof structure.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 13 August 1986.

2002. Building Survey.
NHBG survey.
Comes to the same basic conclusions.
See report (S2) and photographs (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 February 2003.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 582-583.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1049951 and 1373417.
<S2>Unpublished Report: Brown, M. and Brown, S. 2002. Old Hall - Knapton. Norfolk Historic Buildings Group Report.
<S3>Photograph: Brown, S. and M.. K1-5.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service