Record Details

NHER Number:6856
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval brick kilns and former brickyard


A former brickworks and kilns, marked on a 19th century map. The kilns were reported to be in good condition in 1986. The surviving brickworks buildings have been converted to farm buildings.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2751 3163
Map Sheet:TG23SE

Full description

Old kilns. E. Rose (NAU).

Shown as brickworks on map of 19th century North Walsham in (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 November 1985.

University of East Anglia farm survey of adjacent Brick Kiln Farm (S2) (copy in file) states that the kilns were well preserved in 1986 and date from before 1843.
The cartshed at the farm, now mostly demolished is said to have had its bricks numbered, and made at this kiln.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 August 1993.

See also (S3) which states that the works closed at some date between 1886 and 1928; the farm was converted from the brickyard buildings; there is a remarkable concrete kiln.
E. Rose (NLA), 31 May 2000.

Kilns are marked on the Tithe map 1839 (S4) through to 25ins. O.S. map 1938 (S5).
NIAS records (S6)
W. Arnold HES 10/01/2011

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1839 AD? to 1938 AD?)
  • BRICKWORKS (19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1839 AD? to 1938 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Article in Serial: Manning, D.. 1999. Brick Kiln Farm Lyngate.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, No 4. p 37.
<S2>Publication: UEA. 1986. Old Brick kiln Farm, North Walsham, Norfolk.
<S3>Monograph: Wade-Martins, S.. 1984. A History of Norfolk.. 100.
<S4>Map: 1839. Tithe map.
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).
<S6>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service