|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Andrew's Church, Wickmere|
This church is mainly built from carstone. It has a Saxo-Norman round tower and west wall, although the rest of the architecture is mainly 14th century in date. The windows are a mixture of Decorated and Perpendicular styles, although some are 16th and 19th century replacements. Inside, the nave roof is a king post construction, whilst the chancel is a crown post effort. Most of the furnishings are fairly standard affairs although there is a very fine Elizabethan tomb.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1657 3376|
|Parish:||WICKMERE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Saxo-Norman round tower and west wall. Otherwise mainly 14th century. Elizabethan tomb.
For full details and photographs (S1) see secondary file.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 May 1980.
Upgraded to Grade I listing in 1991.
Medieval parish church of flint with iron bound conglomerate and stone dressings. Pantile, lead and slate roofs. The church consists of a west tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and a chancel. There is an embattled round tower of conglomerate laid in-herring- bone pattern to lower part then flint above. The west window dates from the 14th century and is Decorated of 2 lights; slit light with brick reveals above. 2-light 14th century Decorated bell-openings with quatrefoils. Gargoyles. Flushwork to battlements. Quadrant buttress at south angle with nave. To north is a brick stair turret. 3 bay nave, with conglomerate in west wall. South aisle east and west windows 16th century, 3 lights under segmental arches. Diagonal buttress. Buttress with brick repairs. Conglomerate in wall. 2 restored 14th century 2-light windows. Memorial tablet of 1719 to east face in form of cartouche with angels to top, a husked garland, then console base. Lead roof. Buttressed north aisle, ('making of north aisle' mentioned in will of 1535) has blocked door with 2 hollow chamfered orders and a hood mould. 2 2-light medieval windows under 4 centred arches. East window of aisle restored but same form as south aisle east window. West window of 3 lights, restored. Lead roof. Clerestorey of 4 bays in squared knapped flint with stone crosses between openings. Alternating encircled quatrefoils and 2-light ogee headed windows both in square openings under hood moulds. Pantiled roof. Buttressed chancel with diagonal buttresses. South has 2 19th century Decorated 2-light windows; priest's door. Conglomerate in all chancel walls. North chancel has doorway and one 2-light 19th century Decorated window. 19th century east window of 3- lights. Porch to first nave bay with flushwork front, shafts with polygonal abaci to doorway, figure stops, shields in spandrels. Niche over. Square headed east and west windows of 2 cusped lights. Arch-braced-roof; door with medieval iron ring and hinges. Stoop to right. Interior. 3 bay aracade with octagonal piers, bases and abaci; 2 chamfered orders to arch. South aisle roof early 17th century with straight braces and wall posts on corbels. North aisle roof dated 1592 on wall post has straight braces and rose bosses. Nave has 19th century king-post roof. Corbels with heads for earlier roof. 19th century chancel arch. Chancel has 19th century crown post roof. Much restored piscina and sedilia with cusped ogee arches and shields, tracery and rosettes in the spandrels. Memorial tomb to William Dix and wife with kneeling figures. Ionic columns, strapwork around coat of arms, panels with raised shields. 4 Walpole hatchments. Re-used poppy head bench ends. Door to rood stair. Restored rood screen. Re-used medieval painted panel in pulpit. Chest tomb to Margaret and Thomas Twiddle of 1729 in south aisle. Cusped piscina. Marble memorial cartouche to Henrici Spelman died 1698 with achievement and skull to base. In north aisle a tomb to fifth Earl of Orford dated 1931 with reclining figure and angels by Esmond Burton. In wall a corbel of image tabernacle with angels and lion. 19th century font.
Information from (S2).
H. White, (NLA), 23 September 2009
£250,00 restoration including roofing work, repointing, fixing drainage, releading and dealing with damp.
See (S3) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 23 September 2009.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD to 2100 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of South Erpingham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIV. pp 391-401. |
|---||Map: Bryant. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|---||Publication: Cautley. [unknown]. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 13 SE 7. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 723-724. |
|---||Leaflet: The Church of St. Andrew Wickmere. 1976. [unknown]. Rounce & Wortley Ltd. |
|---||Publication: Taylor, H. M. and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture. pp 662-663. |
|---||Photograph: Photographs of St Andrew's Church, Wickmere. Black & white. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Wickmere. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Bishop to rededicate church after revamp. 17 September. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF6500. |
|<S1>||Photograph: BPE 20A. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373464. |
Related records - none
Find out more...