Record Details

NHER Number:6483
Type of record:Monument
Name:Bronze Age round barrow


A Bronze Age round barrow on heathland. It was excavated in 1934, but nothing was found. The barrow was visible again after a heath fire in 1986, being 7 metres in diameter and about 60 centimetres high.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0905 3776
Map Sheet:TG03NE

Full description

Tumulus. On brow of hill southwest of Mackey Hill. About 76cm (2 1/2 feet) high, 6.4m (7 yards) diameter, no ditch. Excavated by A. Q. Watson and J. E. Sainty. Good Friday 1934. Nothing found. Apparently artificial pit to west.
Square hole sunk in centre disclosed thick turf of 30cm (12 inches), closely packed rounded flints 10 to 15cm (4 to 6 inches); black soil about 20cm (8 inches).
A. Q. Watson (NCM).

Seen by R. R. Clarke (NCM) 1 September 1934.

No sign on calluna heath.
A. J. Lawson (NAU), 26 January 1976.

May 1986. Easily found after heath fire. 7m diameter, 0.6m high.
No ditch. Slight depression north of centre.
J.Wymer (NAU).

June 2009. Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey.
Site recorded as being c.5m in diameter and 0.7m high.
See report (S1) for further details.
H. White, (NLA), 12 October 2009.

Monument Types

  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 03 NE 2.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. NHERs 6483 and 6504-6507.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Holt.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Contractor Report: Cushion, B. 2009. Holt Lowes. Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identifcation Survey. Brian Cushion Archaeological & Cartographical Surveyor.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service