Record Details

NHER Number:6422
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval lime kilns


A group of post medieval limekilns are visible on 1941 RAF aerial photographs of this area. These appear to have been incorporated into later World War Two defences.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1809 4314
Map Sheet:TG14SE

Full description

Site of kiln. Marked on 1926 6in Ordnance Survey map (S1) but not on later issues. This was a lime kiln.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 July 1986.

June 2003.Norfolk NMP.
A group of post medieval limekiln structures are visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1941 (S1). These appear to have been incorporated into later World War Two defences. At TG 18091 43151 is open topped sub-circular structure measuring 4.5m by 5m, which has an entrance to the north. To the north of this at TG 18088 43155 is an L-shaped structure measuring 4.5m by 2m. Further to the north again at TG 18085 43158 is a square structure, 2m across. These all seem consistent with the limekiln structures marked on the 1902-7 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (25in) (S2). At TG 18093 43126 another rectangular structure, 2m by 3m, was also mapped, this also marked on the 2nd edition map. It is not clear whether this relates to the limekiln activity on the site, although it is located at the edge of the quarried area on the map.
S. Massey (NMP) 27 November 2003.

Monument Types

  • LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIMEHOUSE? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1941. RAF S/378 70-1 07-AUG-1941 (NMR).
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service