|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval deer park known as Oxehaghe|
This enormous deer park was laid out by William d'Aubigny II, with some assistance from the monastery in Wymondham. Parts of its boundary are still visible in the modern field layout, and in some areas the boundary ditch is visible as a cropmark (NHER 9945).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 11066 98698|
|Parish:||WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Lying south of Wymondham, this park was laid out by William d'Albini II. A documentary source states that William the Prior and the monastery had diligently assisted him in making the ditch of his park. The park comprised over 200 hectares and measured over 2km from north to south. Parts of its curving boundaries can be traced in the modern landscape, and it is remembered in the names of Park and Lower Park Farms. This park was known as Oxehaghe.
The eastern park boundary is still visible as cropmarks in some places (NHER 9945).
See (S1) for further information.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16 April 2009.
March 2012. Norfolk NMP.
The soilmarks of a bank and multiple-ditch section of the Deer Park boundary are visible on aerial photographs and have been recorded under NHER 9945, see record for details.
S. Horlock (NMP), 05 March 2012.
- DEER PARK (12th Century to 16th Century - 1175 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Cattermole, P.. 2007. Wymondham Abbey. P 161-2. pp 10-11. |
|9944||Related to: Remains of medieval moated site within a deer park (Monument)|