|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Caston mill and granary|
A six storey brick tower mill, built in 1864 to replace a post mill. It has a boat-shaped cap. The granary joined to the side of the mill has been converted to residential use, but the old machinery still remains intact.
|Grid Reference:||TL 9511 9816|
|Parish:||CASTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
15 October 1975. Visited.
Windmill and granary.
Very fine tower mill, complete except for some ribs on vanes; fantail also missing (both 1976). Built in 1864 to replace a postmill and last worked by wind in about 1940. Granary at base now converted to house; contains mill engine. Mill is of six storeys, unfloored gallery at second stage. Boat shaped cap. All machinery intact. Has initials EW for Edward Wyer.
Information from (S1) and informant.
(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 August 1983.
- GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL9598 A,B. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 99 NE M; TL 99 NE 20. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 261. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076787. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Age-old techniques used to restore Norfolk mills. 18 August. |
Related records - none
Find out more...