Record Details

NHER Number:51302
Type of record:Building
Name:Downham Market Railway Station


This carrstone building was constructed in 1846 to serve the Lynn to Ely line of the East Anglian Railway (NHER 13594) which remains in operation today. A program of restoration to return Downham Market station to its original Victorian appearance was completed in 1991, coinciding with the electrification of the line which was completed in 1992.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 60295 03328
Map Sheet:TF60SW

Full description

November 1972. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"1846. It is a carstone building with pale brick dressings, a shaped gable with stone cope at each side of the front, and chamfered plinth. It features wood mullion transom casemets with metal lights with lozenge panes, chamfered jambs and gauged flat arches to the windows, and a central entrance."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Seen by E. Rose (NAU) 1977. Amended by J. Cullis (HES), 21 January 2020.

1987 to 1991. Restoration.
British Rail and the Railway Heritage Trust undertook a program of restoration to return Downham Market station to its original Victorian appearance.
Information from (S2 - S6) in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 05 March 2008.

Monument Types

  • RAILWAY STATION (19th Century to 21st Century - 1847 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 313.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1171244.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Victorian 'facelift' plan for station. 17 July.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989. A facelift for station. 4 July.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Praise for plans to boost listed station. 5 September.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Project is nearly complete. 13 March.

Related records

13594Related to: East Anglian Railway, originally known as Lynn and Ely (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service