Record Details

NHER Number:47791
Type of record:Building
Name:Paston School, Grammar School Road

Summary

Founded in 1606 as the Paston Free School by Sir William Paston in 1606. The present building stands on the site of the original and dates to 1766. It consists of a three storey seven window bay red brick range with a hipped pantile roof. Horatio Nelson was a pupil here from 1768 to 1771. The site is now part of Paston College

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2826 3013
Map Sheet:TG23SE
Parish:NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1950. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
1766, red brick. Pantiled roof, hipped. Three storey. Seven window range of sash windows, including narrower arched end windows some of which are blank panels in lieu, with glazing bars and gauged arches. Nelson was pupil from 1768 to 1771.
Information from (S1).
P. Aldridge (NLA), 22 November 2006.

September 1972. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Wall and door at north. entrance of Paston School TO 2930 1/4A
C18, red brick, partly curved on plan each side, and with square piers with stone caps. 8 to 10 ft high. Stone tablet; above central wood wide pedestrian door with heavy frame, engraved "Sir William Paston's Free School founded 1606".
Information from (S2).

Monument Types

  • SCHOOL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1766 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1039540.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1281242.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service