|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||3 and 4 Holt Road|
A pair of semi detached brick houses built by the Parish Council in 1912. The houses are a rare example of Parish Council housing, and of local authority housing dating from before World War One.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0971 3468|
|Parish:||EDGEFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pair of semi-detached houses. 1912. Brick with corrugated tile hipped roof. Square, one bay per house, double depth. Central chimney stack. Plat band and oversailing eaves cornice. Ground floor 3-light casements under segmental heads, doors to outer side; one 3-light casement per bay to first floor. Single storey divided wash-house range to rear, extended. Houses built by Parish Council in 1/2 acre each for £150. The refusal of the District Council to take over some responsibility for the extra rate incurred lead to questions in Parliament and a subsequent directive that housing was a District, not Parish, responsibility. Included as a rare example of Parish Council housing and of pre 1914 local authority housing.
S. Spooner (NLA) 6 September 2006
- COUNCIL HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1912 AD to 2100 AD)
- SEMI DETACHED HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1912 AD to 2100 AD)
- WASH HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1912 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 454. |
|37015||Related to: 1 and 2 Holt Road (Building)|
Find out more...