|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Holy Cross Church, Stoke Holy Cross|
The Holy Cross Church was thoroughly rebuilt or 'restored' in 1879, although the tower seems to be original and dates to the 14th century. The chancel is lit by a narrow triple-lancet east window, preserving the 13th century form. The south nave door has a brick arch which is likely to date to the 16th century or earlier, and on the exterior of the south wall is a memorial to a surgeon, who died in 1719, decorated with surgical implements.
|Grid Reference:||TG 2357 0079|
|Parish:||STOKE HOLY CROSS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Mostly rebuilt or 'restored' in 1879, including scissor-braced nave roof, but tower original 14th century with bannerstaff locker and contemorary tomb. Lancets in chancel, though renewed, preserve original 13th century form; also a two-light Decorated/Perpendicular style window, apparently original with grotesque head-corbels outside, despite Victorian glass. Victorian reredos, renewed piscina. 15th century? Brass strip on east side of modern screen. Fragment of bell cast 1661. In churchyard old font, octagonal, carved. South nave door has brick arch - 16th century or earlier. On exterior of south wall memorial to a surgeon 1719 decorated with surgical implements.
Plate: Paten, early 16th century. Chalice (Norwich) 1567, Paten on foot (London) 1704.
Press cutting (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 August 1975.
(S2) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2100 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG2300A-C (CUC), E, F, N, P, Q, (Unit). |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1901. Hundred of Henstead. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VII. pp 93-100. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 673. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Restored memorial dedicated. 26 April. |
|<S2>||Photograph: Unknown. 2006. [unknown]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...