|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval finds|
A geophysical, fieldwalking and metal detecting survey between 2002 and 2003 recorded magnetic anomalies that could correspond or be associated with former field boundaries. Fieldwalking recovered finds dating from the medieval to post-medieval period. Metal-detecting found a post-medieval lead cloth seal and button. Metal-detecting between 2005 and 2013 recovered prehistoric worked flints; a Late Iron Age coin; a medieval strap-end and a post-medieval prick spur.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 30 33|
|Parish:||PASTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
November 2002-January 2003. Geophysical, metal-detecting and fieldwalking survey. Bacton to King's Lynn pipeline plot 11.
The geophysical survey detected magnetic anomalies that could correspond or relate to former field boundaries shown on the 1885 [ordnance survey?] map. Fieldwalking recovered three burnt flints, one sherd of medieval pottery, four sherds of post-medieval pottery and post-medieval ceramic building material. Metal-detecting found a post-medieval lead cloth seal and post-medieval lead button.
S. Howard (NLA), 11 February 2010.
December 2005-January 2006. Metal-detecting.
1 Prehistoric notched flint flake.
1 medieval composite five-part strap-end.
Object Identified by S. Ashley (NLA) and flint by P. Robins (NLA). See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 18 February 2006.
Updated by J. Page (HES), 3 April 2014.
Before 28 March 2010. Metal-detecting.
Late prehistoric retouched flake.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 1 March 2010.
June-July 2010. Metal-detecting.
Post-medieval prick spur.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 23 August 2010.
January-April 2013. Metal-detecting. .
1 Late Iron Age gold coin.
Information from PAS import.
P. Watkins (HES), 1 May 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BURNT FLINT (Unknown date)
- FLAKE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Late Iron Age - 30 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 720 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1100 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP END (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (12th Century to 14th Century - 1200 AD to 1400 AD)
- POT (15th Century to 16th Century - 1450 AD to 1600 AD)
- BUILDING MATERIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PRICK SPUR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: [Unknown]. 2003. Bacton to Kings Lynn Proposed Gas Pipeline. Archaeological Field Reconnaissance, Fieldwalking, Metal Detecting and Geophysical Survey. Network Archaeology. 184. |
Related records - none
Find out more...