Record Details

NHER Number:4783
Type of record:Monument
Name:Market Cross

Summary

The first market cross put up in 1550 burnt down in the fire of 1600, but its replacement is memorable, even if much restored. Dominating the Market Place it is the town's most famous landmark. It is an octagonal timber structure with an open ground floor under a three tiered dome. The clock face in the upper dome was taken from Worstead Hall in 1787.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2824 3024
Map Sheet:TG23SE
Parish:NORTH WALSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Originally built in 1550, and may contain some original timbers. Rebuilt after fire of 1600, and much restored since, especially in 1897.
Octagonal open timbered structure with double cupola. Bears clock (1787) and weathervane.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) said that the tiles on the roof are in fact cast iron. Is now festooned with coloured lights but is in good condition.
Seen by E. Rose (NAU), 29 July 1975.

1983.
Recently restored again. (S1) refers to a legend then current that it had been moved from Worstead with a cattle market. E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1983.

Ancient monument details (S2), correspondence (S3) and press cuttings (S4), (S5), (S6), (S7), (S8) and (S9) in file.

Monument Types

  • MARKET CROSS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [unknown]. 9 July.
---Designation: Corbishley, M.. 1983. AM107.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 23 SE 2 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 625-626.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Fire engine moved out of church. 23 July.
---Recording Form: Heywood, S. 1994. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - Market Cross, North Walsham.
---Recording Form: Heywood, S. 1994. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - Market Cross, North Walsham.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Walsham (North).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Maxwell, D.. 1925. Unknown Norfolk.
<S2>Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF95.
<S3>Correspondence: 1959. Various.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. [Postcard of unknown date of the Market Cross at North Walsham]. 12 June.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Market Cross was toll place. 1 April.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Illustration of the Market Cross at North Walsham]. 18 July.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Photograph of the Market Cross at North Walsham from 1933]. 24 November.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Photograph of an unknown date of the Market Cross in North Walsham]. 3 March.
<S9>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Idea gets some people Cross. 26 January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service