Record Details

NHER Number:41227
Type of record:Building
Name:The Firs, Silver Green


A timber framed building that probably started life as a medieval hall house. The parlour end was rebuilt in about 1600, with a remarkable ornate fireplace. Later alterations include the insertion of an upper floor and chimney stack, together with raising the roof level. The house was extended in the 1970s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 25101 93642
Map Sheet:TM29SE

Full description

June 1981. Listed Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"C17 timber-frame house, roughcast. Steep roof with modern pantiles and with gabled ends. Brick chimney stack off centre. External stack at east end. One storey and attic. Three modern flat roofed dormers. Modern fenestration and modern gabled porch in front of stack."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
H. Hamilton (HES), 05 December 2017. Amended by P. Beers (HES), 27 June 2020.

March 2005. Site Visit.
Probable hall house. Parlour end rebuilt around 1600 with remarkable ornate fireplace (S2). Upper floor inserted in hall but rooms of different lengths on the two levels. Later alterations include a gable stack and raising of roof. Extended 1970s.
See report (S3) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 March 2005.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373239.
<S2>Photograph: [homeowner]. [2005?]. Photographs of fireplace in The Firs, Silver Green, Hempnall. Digital. Ink jet print (paper).
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service