Record Details

NHER Number:38881
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible World War Two pillbox


A possible pillbox dating to World War Two is visible as a standing structure on aerial photographs taken in 1942. There is no sign of it on aerial photographs taken in 1940, or on those from 1946 suggesting that it had been demolished by this date. The pillbox formed part of the wartime defences along this stretch of coast, extensive traces of which have been mapped in the surrounding area. It lay in a fairly typical position close to a field boundary, behind a line of barbed wire (NHER 38882). In 1942 the pillbox stood almost 150m inland of the cliff edge but modern maps indicate that the site it occupied has now been eroded and forms part of the cliff face.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2663 3966
Map Sheet:TG23NE

Full description

October 2004. Norfolk NMP.
A possible World War Two pillbox is visible as a standing structure on aerial photographs (S1), centred at TG 2663 3967. When viewed in stereo, the structure does seem rather tall for a pillbox and as it is only visible on one set of aerial photographs there is a possibility that it is an agricultural feature such as a hay or straw stack. The field in which it stands, however, does not appear to have been harvested when the photograph was taken and consequently it seems most likely that the visible structure is a pillbox.

The pillbox is possibly polygonal in plan but this is not particularly clear on the consulted aerial photographs and it has therefore been mapped as a circular feature. It measures approximately 4m in diameter.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 19 October 2004.

Monument Types

  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1942. RAF AC/59 56-7 19-JUN-1942 (NMR).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service