Record Details

NHER Number:4441
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Welney


An Early English style church built in 1848 by J.C. Buckler. The church has a continuous nave and chancel with an arched west door and a gabled bellcote. The windows are a mixture of plate tracery and lancets. The interior contains a late 19th century stone reredos and stained glass by T. Wilshurst.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 5262 9384
Map Sheet:TL59SW

Full description

Listed Grade II*.
Built 1848 by J.C. Buckler.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S1) refers to an 'ancient church' and (S2) says that the 1848 building replaces an earlier one. This may be the same as an earlier mention in (S2) to a chapel at Welney that existed before the mid 17th century, as it registers date from 1642, but there is no evidence it was Norman as Cox states 'it' did not become parochial until 1862, which suggests it is the same as the present parish church.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 November 1998.

February 1986. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
The church is built of coursed carstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Continuous nave and chancel. Early English style. Gabled west end. Arched west door below 2-light window with Plate tracery. Diagonal buttresses to nave. Nave windows of 2-light Plate tracery with trefoil above trefoiled lights. Trefoiled south door below lancet. Flat side buttresses. Dentil eaves course. Gabled bellcote at apex of east nave gable with bell in trefoiled opening. Chancel side windows of trefoiled lancets (2 to south, one to north). Three-light Plate traceried east window. Flat east buttresses with modified stiff leaf decoration. Lean-to vestry to north of chancel: 2 lancets and trefoiled door. Interior. West gallery on 6 splayed timber posts. Nave roof of large arched braces to collars, springing from corbels. Two tiers through purlins. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with engaged columns. Chancel. roof as nave. 1887 stone reredos in 3 cusped arched bays each with crocketed and finialed gable. East window glass by T. Wilshurst depicting Faith, Hope and Charity.
Information from (S3).
S. Spooner (NLA) 13 July 2006.

The church that this building replaced is marked on the Upwell cum Welney Tithe map of 1840 (S4). It appears that it lay in what is now the south-east corner of the present churchyard.
P. Watkins (HES), 2 December 2018.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (1848, Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL5293E.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 318-322.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 758.
<S1>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S2>Monograph: 1948. The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 4 City of Ely, Ely N and S, Witchford and Wisbech Hundreds. p 258.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168946.
<S4>Map: Bidwell, Charles. M., Ely.. 1840. Welney tithe map. 1inch: 4 chains.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service