Record Details

NHER Number:4425
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's church, St Andrew's Walk


The earliest part of this church is its big round carstone west tower, which is Late Saxon or Early Norman in date. The tower is of exceptional diameter, has walls that are 1.2m thick and is the largest example of its type in Norfolk. The octagonal belfry stage on top is 14th century and has six bells, though these are no longer rung. The 15th century south porch houses a 13th century south door, the north door, now blocked, being of a similar date. The porch was probably rebuilt in the 17th century, when the shaped gable was added. The remainder of the church is mainly 15th century. The chancel was restored in 1895 and a few years later the nave roof collapsed and had to be replaced. Inside is a simple 14th century octagonal font and an early 17th century pulpit and reading desk. On the north nave wall is an alabaster monument to Robert Dereham (who died in 1612) and his father (who died in 1559) and next to this a very decorative panel to Sir Thomas Dereham (who died in 1722). Best of all, standing opposite, is a finely carved life-size marble figure of Colonel the Hon. Edmund Soame (who died in battle in 1706), wearing armour and striking a suitably martial pose, one of the best standing monuments in Norfolk. The memorial was commissioned by Edmund's sister, who also provided the fine set of three-sided communion rails. Original 15th century stained glass survives in fragmentary form in the east window and one south nave window. The churchyard has plenty of interesting 18th century headstones. In 2009 a building survey was undertaken on the southern porch, which revealed that the porch and shaped upper gable were later additions to the church.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6673 0210
Map Sheet:TF60SE

Full description

Late Saxon to Norman round tower. Rest 13th, 15th and 17th centuries.
See notes (S1) in file. Listed (S2). Press cuttings (S3) and (S4) in file.

July 1959. Listed, Grade I.
Listing Description:
Parish church. Late 12th century west tower, remainder early 15th century, restored in 1895. Tower of ferruginous conglomerate, remainder of carstone and flint with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Three stage round tower. Restored round arched west window. Second stage of smaller circumference above set-off is pierced by one round-headed lancet to west and further blocked lancet to north. 14th century octagonal brick belfry stage with one two-light Y tracery window, each facet set within recess defined at top by frieze of five round arches. Alternate pairs of windows blocked. Plain parapet. Late 17th century south porch of rendered brick with shaped gable. Outer door jambs and arch of re-used medieval material. Statuary niche with triangular hood on head stops in gable. Two-light square-headed side windows. Interior of porch barrel vaulted, with transverse ribs. Early 13th century inner south door: one order of shafts with bell capitals supports square imposts and deeply undercut moulded pointed arch. Four flat buttresses with one set-off to nave north and south, the two eastern bays with three-light Perpendicular windows under depressed arches. Windows with stepped transoms above ogee arches. Chancel with two three-light Perpendicular windows beneath pointed arches on south side, one on north side. Stepped buttress and priests' door to south. Diagonal east buttresses. Three-light Perpendicular panel tracery east window with crenellated transom. Gabled 19th century vestry to north. Blocked wave moulded north nave door. Interior. Pointed tower arch. 14th century octagonal front with facets of bowl decorated with quatrefoils. 19th century scissor-braced nave roof with crenellated tie beam. Rood stairs survive. Triple chamfered tower arch. 19th century crown post chancel roof on chamfered tie beam. Embattled 15th century wall plate survives. 17th century iron twist altar rails. Early 17th century pulpit: punched arcading on fluted pilaster strips above dado of rectangular panels with diamond fielding; scrolled consoles support rth century glass in head. Wall monument to Colonel Edmond Soames (died 1706) against south chancel wall 1710, signed by Robert Singleton (of Bury St Edmunds). White, pink and grey marble. Pedestal with inscription plaque. Life size statue of Colonel Soames in military dress against round-headed grey ground. Open pediment with central cartouche and swags supported on carved pilasters right and left. Wall monument in north chancel wall to Thomas Dereham 1722: marble with pilaster strapwork above inscription panel cartouche. Apron acting as pedestal extends to ground. To left, a wall monument to Robert (died 1612) and Thomas Dereham (died 1559); marble with black slate inscription tablet framed by pilasters support- ing decorated architrave. Composition with crowning achievement and scrolled apron.
Information from (S2).

March 2009.
Church awarded £112,000 for essential maintenance work
see (S5) in file
H. White (NLA), 4 March 2009.

September 2009. Building Survey.
A programme of archaeological building recording was undertaken on the southern porch of the church, which revealed that the porch had been built against the 15th century body of the church. There were also indications that the upper, shaped part of the gable and the flanking buttresses was also a later addition probably during the late 17th century meaning that the main body of the church is earlier than previously though, prehaps 15th to 16th century.
See report (S5) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S6).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.341).
S. Howard (NLA), 15 December 2009. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 June 2019.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRASS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 78-91.
---Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1957. TF 6602J.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Historic churches awarded millions of pounds for essential maintenance work. 4 March.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 763.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1977. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1170580.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Photograph of the view of West Dereham Church]. 27 August.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Church still flourishing centuries on. 11 May.
<S5>Unpublished Contractor Report: Taylor, G. 2009. Building Recording at St Andrew's Church, West Dereham, Norfolk. Archaeological Project Services. 106/09.
<S6>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Hoggett, R. 2010. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2009. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLVI Pt I pp 135-147. p 146.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service