Record Details

NHER Number:38610
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of World War Two military structures

Summary

A probable World War Two military structure is visible on aerial photographs in 1941 near the coast at Weybourne. The structure is located to the immediate north of two pillboxes (NHER 32513-4). These structures are situated to the south of an area of coastal defences at Weybourne (NHER 38577-9, 32505) and training associated with Weybourne Camp to the west (NHER 11335).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1240 4332
Map Sheet:TG14SW
Parish:WEYBOURNE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 2004, Norfolk NMP
A probable World War Two military structure is visible on aerial photographs in 1941 near the coast at Weybourne (S1). The structure is located at TG 1239 4332 to the immediate north of two pillboxes (NHER 32513-4). The structure is not clear due to imperfections in the original aerial photographs, although it appears to be roughly 5-6m across and rectangular. The exact function of this building is not known. This structure is situated to the south of an area of coastal defences at Weybourne (NHER 38577-9, 32505) and training associated with Weybourne Camp to the west (NHER 11335).
(S1)
S. Massey (NMP) 1 April 2004

Monument Types

  • MILITARY BUILDING (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1940. RAF 268A/BR/183 9-10 17-DEC-1940 (NMR).

Related records

11335Part of: Weybourne Camp (Monument)
38579Related to: Site of World War Two coastal defences (Monument)
38577Related to: Site of World War Two defensive structures (Monument)
32513Related to: World War Two pillbox (Monument)
32514Related to: World War Two pillbox (Monument)
38578Related to: World War Two rifle range (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service