|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Beaupre Hall|
A modern bungalow stands on the site of a late medieval great house. The great house, which is now demolished had a turretted gatehouse, dovecote and chapel. Photographs show that some remains survived into the 1960s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5151 0456|
|Parish:||OUTWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Oldest part is southwest wing, probably around 1500; gatehouse around 1530 including dovecot. Gable wall alone remains of a wing of 1570. Chapel was unroofed in 1915 and stained glass removed to Victoria and Albert Museum. Surrounded by moat. See (S1) which also notes legends and details. Building formerly scheduled, descheduled 1962. (S2) mention a chapel and hermitage near the church on the King's Highway. This might refer to this chapel, but on the other hand could refer to a site previously in Cambridgeshire, now in Norfolk, see NHER 25839.
Complete small greenglazed jug, 15th or 16th century. Found early 1960s in hall grounds by unknown person. 
R. Trett (NAU), March 1982.
Building also formerly listed Grade I, but delisted 1985 because 'demolished'. See (S3).
E. Rose, 31 January 1986.
Ref (S4) copy in file, shows before and after photographs. Former is dated to around 1920 and is hard to interpret. It shows turretted gatehouse with two storey and attic wing, having gable stack and a Venetian window, apparently attached to its left, and further back a second two storey range with projecting porch tower, but other windows of later date.
Far left is a single cell two storey and attic turretted 'tower house', far right a crenellated wall. Second photograph 1963 shows hall ruinous (but larger and older chimneys visible) with new housing being built in front.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 July 1996.
Site occupied by modern bungalow, landscaped gardens and perimeter wall. Owner remembers some ruins when land purchased over 20 years ago.
H. Paterson (NLA), 17 July 1996.
Copy of the stained glass window in Victoria and Albert Museum is in Ely Cathedral Stained Glass Museum (wrongly labelled Cambridgeshire).
E. Rose (NLA), 28 June 1999.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOVECOTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HERMITAGE (RELIGIOUS) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GATEHOUSE (16th Century to Late 20th Century - 1530 AD to 1985 AD)
- STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- JUG (Medieval to 16th Century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. NHER4210. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 50 SW 11. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 581. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Outwell. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 194. |
|<S2>||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk. 2. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry Unknown. |
|<S4>||Photograph: Summerson, J.. 1991. Fifty Years of the National Buildings Record. p 40. |
Related records - none
Find out more...