Record Details

NHER Number:36179
Type of record:Building
Name:Old School Library, Church Plain


A former school and house built in 1857 by J.S. Benest and A. Newman. The building is in squared and knapped flint with yellow brick dressings and has a southwest corner tower that is shown with a spire on old photographs. The main hall has triple lancet windows with hexagonal panes and cinquefoils. The school has now been converted into a library.


  • Old School Library, Loddon.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TM 3621 9878
Map Sheet:TM39NE

Full description

February 1977. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Former school and school house, now public library. 1857 by J.S. Benest and A. Newson and added to in 1881. Knapped flint with yellow stone dressings. Slate roof with gabled ends. On left (west) the former school house has small truncated corner tower with pointed arch porch beneath."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Beers (HES), 24 April 2020.

Former school and house, now library 1857 by J.S. Benest and A. Newson, extended 1881 according to (S2).
Knapped and squared flint with yellow brick dressings (not stone as on listing). Southwest corner tower now truncated (old photograph displayed shows spire and pyramid roof) on right of which is pentise, connecting to main hall with three tall windows rising into dormers, each containing triple lancet windows with hexagonal panes; between them are cinquefoils. Further pentise porch at right hand end. Similar range to north along Bridge Street. In front is low wall with ornamental iron railings.
Though listed 'for group value only' this is a very fine example of its type, and of the work of Benest, few of whose buildings remain.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 April 2001.

Drawn elevations and plans in file.

August 2010-October 2011. Building Survey.
Examined as part of Norfolk Rural Schools Survey Project.
An impressive gothic-style building constructed in 1857 and enlarged in 1881. Closed in 1969 and is currently the local library.
See (S3) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 15 May 2012.

Monument Types

  • SCHOOL (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1857 AD to 1969 AD)
  • SCHOOL HOUSE (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1857 AD to 1969 AD)
  • PUBLIC LIBRARY (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1969 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169475.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 525.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Margaret, A. & Barber, P.. 2010/2011. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey Form. Old School Library, Loddon, Norfolk.. August & October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service