|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Peter's Church, Brooke|
A medieval parish church, with a round tower dating to the Late Saxon period. The church is built in a variety of architectural styles including Early English and Perpendicular. An unusual series of 14th century wall paintings depicting the Seven Deadly Sins were discovered in the 19th century, but were white washed over. The church was restored in the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2939 9954|
|Parish:||BROOKE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 1960. Listed, Grade II.
Medieval parish church of flint and iron-bound conglomerate with brick and stone dressings and slate and tile roofs. The church consists of a west tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and a chancel. There is a 12th century round tower with some conglomerate. It has small round-headed windows to the south and west with blocked slits above. There are round-headed window at a higher level to the north. 4 bell-openings facing roughly north east, southeast, north west and south west with rendered brick dressings. It has a polygonal parapet of chequerwork brick and flint. 3 bay nave with 19th/20th century brick buttresses to south; 2 restored windows of 3 lights with panel tracery under 4-centred arches, one with brick hood mould, one with 19th century stone hood; brick relieving 'arches over both. North aisle, perhaps the 'new aisle' mentioned in Will of 1508. 19th century west window of 3 lights. Doorway with continuous chamfer and hood mould. Square headed window of 2 ogee lights; one 19th century 3-light. Eastern aisle window with 2 ogee lights. Clerestorey of 8 19th century stone-dressed windows. 2 lead plaques. Chancel of 2 bays with 19th/20th century brick buttresses. To south restored priest's doorway with 19th century hood mould with figure-stops. 19th century 2-light Decorated window. To north, one 2-light Decorated window. East window 19th century of 3 lights. Porch to south nave restored with 20th century brick. 19th century 2-light windows to east and west. Niche with brick reveals over archway which has shafts, simple capitals and chamfered arch. 12th century doorway to nave has continuous inner order, outer attached shafts with debased acanthus capitals with imposts; hood mould with figure-stops. Medieval door.
Interior. North arcade of 4 bays with one pier to west having continuous moulding, one octagonal pier with attached shaft to'east and one octagonal pier. 2 4- centred arches to west, 2 pointed arches to east. Stoup beside south door. Aumbry in south nave wall. Door to tower. Chancel arch with imposts. Arch-braced nave roof with angels holding shields, restored. Arched braced roof to aisle. Double piscina in chancel with triangular arches and free-standing shaft between. 19th century fittings probably of restoration of 1849. Fine seven sacrament font mentioned in wills of 1466-8, defaced.
Information from (S1).
Medieval parish church.
Round tower with octagonla top, probably Late Saxon.
Church contains Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular work.
An unusual series of 14th century wall painting depicting the Seven Deadly Sins were discovered in the 19th century, but have been whitewashed over. See (S2).
19th century restoration.
1901. Found in deposit below burials in churchyards.
Copper alloy seal matrix found, decorated with a Tudor rose and the initials 'IM'.
Post medieval sherds found.
E. Rose (NAU), 1990.
A photograph of a fragment of the rood screen has been discovered, along with a note which reads; 'This fragment of wood carving is said to be part of the old screen. It represents Genesis III v 24. This most interesting relic has been returned by Rear Admiral H Beal, grandson of the rev Beal vicar here 1847-70.' The fragment has since been lost.
See (S3) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 5 October 2009.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SEAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM2999A, B. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp100-101; Pl 36b. |
|---||Leaflet: 1988. St Peter's Church, Brooke, Norfolk.. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Brooke. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2017. Church bells ring out once more after grant funding. 8 May. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051120. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 222. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Search on for fragment lost 150 years ago. 5 October. |
Related records - none
Find out more...