Record Details

NHER Number:3661
Type of record:Monument
Name:Neolithic to Bronze Age enclosure and finds

Summary

The site of a large oval earthwork, standing about 60cm high with a surrounding ditch, recorded in the early 20th century. It has since been ploughed flat. Partial excavation in 1972 recovered Neolithic flints and pottery fragments and pieces of Bronze Age pottery, but the exact date and function of the site are still unknown.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8550 1969
Map Sheet:TF81NE
Parish:WEASENHAM ALL SAINTS, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1936.
42.7m (140 feet) east of NHER 3659. Oval earthwork orientated southwest to northeast. Platform about 60cm (2 feet) high surrounded by ditch 4.3m (14 feet) across with counterscarp. Overall dimentions 63m by 28.7m (206 feet by 94 feet). Two opposed entrances at north end 6.1m and 5.2m (20 feet and 17 feet) wide.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Other descriptions: circumference on top of bank 128m (420 feet), 52.1m (171feet) north to south, 20.1m (66 feet) east to west, axis northeast by north and southwest by south, 1m (3 1/2 feet) from bottom of ditch to top of bank; well marked ditch all around bank cut through in two places towards north (A. Q. Watson 1936), measured with tape measure 28.7m (94 feet) across, 62.8m (206 fee) long to bottom of ditch, ditch deepest ( 1.2m or 4 feet) at south
end (A. Q. Watson 1937); 50.3m (165 feet) by 24.7m (81 feet), axis northnortheast to southsouthwest, mound a saucer-like plateau only 60cm (2 feet) high with slight rim (E. I. Puddy 1941; see sketch in file). Also described by Sainty (1936) in same terms as Watson.

August to September 1972.
Four cuttings made at southwest end by F. F. Petersen for Department of the Environment. Earthwork completely flat, having been ploughed since 1941. Few finds: struck and burnt flint, one fragment fired clay and one body sherd similar to material from site NHER 3660 (Beaker), two sherds of ?Mildenhall style Neolithic bowl. No finds from uneqivocal primary contexts.
Date and function still unknown.
F. Healy (NAU), 11 July 1984.

Article missing from file.
J. Yates (NLA), 12 November 2010.

Monument Types

  • ENCLOSURE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • ENCLOSURE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds

  • BRIQUETAGE (Undated)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • POT BOILER (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • POT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • POT BOILER (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 81 NE 5 [3].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Article in Serial: Healy, F. 1984. Recent Finds of Neolithic Bowl Pottery in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXIX Pt I pp 65-82.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Weasenham (All Saints) [2].
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
---Photograph: CLB 20-21.
<S1>Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. p 423.
<S2>Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1936. Ancient Burial Mounds of England.. 2. p 185.
<S3>Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1953. Ancient Burial Mounds of England.. pp 199, 203.
<S4>Monograph: East Anglian Archaeology. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol XII.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1941. [unknown]. 14 May.
<S6>Article in Monograph: Peterson, F. F. and Healy, F. 1986. The Excavation of Two Round Barrows and a Ditched Enclosure on Weasenham Lyngs, 1972. Barrow Excavations in Norfolk, 1950-82. East Anglian Archaeology. Lawson, A. J. et al.. No 29 pp 70-103.

Related records

56103Part of: Bronze Age Barrow Cemetery, Weasenham Heath (Landscape)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service