Record Details

NHER Number:3542
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval mounds and tree clumps, Houghton Park

Summary

A series of earthwork mounds along either side of the east view from the Hall. The mounds were created from the spoil from a cutting that opened up the view from the Hall. The cutting was begun in 1742 and may have been abandoned in 1745 when Walpole died. Some of the mounds were used for planting clumps of trees, framing the view from the Hall.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7972 2870
Map Sheet:TF72NE
Parish:HOUGHTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Rows of mounds, some small, others large with trees on them, along each side of East View, apparently of earth removed when vista was dug out.
Noted by Rev. J.F. Williams and confirmed by E. Rose (NAU) 2 June 1977.

(S1) describes the creation of the cutting, which was probably begun in about 1742 and which may have been abandoned in 1745 when Walpole died. The cutting opened up the east view from the Hall, and some of the mounds were planted with clumps of trees to frame the view from the Hall. The largest mound created from the spoil of the cutting covers the icehouse, NHER 3523.
See (S1) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 6 April 2006

Monument Types

  • GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TREE CLUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Houghton.
<S1>Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 268. p 54.

Related records

30463Part of: Houghton Park (Monument)
3522Related to: Bronze Age round barrow or post medieval garden feature, Houghton Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service