|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Michael's Church and Mintlyn deserted medieval village|
The overgrown ruins of the medieval church stand here. Sections of the north and south nave walls survive and are built of carstone, stone, brick and pieces of metal working debris. Fragments from a 11th or 12th century arch are now in King's Lynn Museum and the font is now in a nearby garden (NHER 51316). The church once stood within the village of Mintlyn, a settlement mentioned in the Domesday Book. Mintlyn was deserted during the post medieval period and its exact extent is uncertain.
|Grid Reference:||TF 6571 1925|
|Parish:||BAWSEY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of deserted village. Ruined church, Norman and 15th century.
Extent of village unknown. Village mentioned in Domesday Book (S1) and Nomina Villarum (S2). Some cottages marked on a map of 1690 according to member of the public  and (S3).
Church has remains of west wall with Perpendicular window, fragment of wall to east, reset overgrown, according to (S4).
In 1975, a member of the public  recorded tapslag in church walls and on surface.
Photographs (S5) show wall is carstone with stone quoins, brick gable and Perpendicular window. Sections of north and south walls with quoins of doorway. To east isolated corner and brick with stone.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 July 1980.
June 1981. Visit.
Quoins in north and south walls may be for windows. Tap slag confirmed in walls. Interior overgrown.
Norman font and part of a tympanum with dogtooth ornament.
E. Rose (NAU) 17 June 1981.
Tympanum and fragment of voussoir given to KLM.
See notes in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 31 August 1990.
See reference (S6) and photographs (S5) in file.
The font has been removed and been taken to NHER 51316 and is a listed building, grade II.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 September 1998.
Bracken cut, ruin visible. S. Heywood (NCC) visited to assess fallen masonry, difficult to reach any definite conclusion regarding these fragments.
H. Paterson (A&E) 21 June 2002.
The font is now recorded under site NHER 14091.
D. Robertson (NLA) 10 October 2005.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF6519B-D. |
|---||Serial: Bryant, T. H. About 1900. Hundred of Freebridge Lynn. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1993. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 NE 1 . |
|---||Unpublished Document: Council for the Care of Churches. 1992. Mintlyn, St Michael, Norfolk (Norwich). |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 544. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Bawsey. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Nomina Villarum. |
|<S3>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 84. |
|<S5>||Photograph: Ashley, H.. 1980. Mintlyn Church (G9430, G94432, G9434, G9435 and G9437). |
|<S6>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 75; pp 52, 116-119. |
|51316||Related to: Norman font from St Michael's Church, Mintlyn (Building)|
|MNO4053||Related to: Ruins of Church of St. Michael MINTLYN (Revoked)|
Find out more...