|Type of record:||Find Spot|
A watching brief on pipe laying in 1996/7 recorded a quantity of prehistoric burnt flint and flakes, together with Roman and medieval pottery fragments. Metal-detecting at the time also recovered numerous post-medieval finds, including musket balls and shell cases.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 32760 34013|
|Parish:||BACTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|PASTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
November 1996-February 1997. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks associated with expansion of operation at Bacton Natural Gas Terminal.
Observation of new pipe line. Metal-detector survey and watching brief on topsoil stripping and below groundworks.
Concentration of prehistoric burnt flints observed and retouched flint flake recovered.
Roman and medieval pottery.
Quantity of medieval/post medieval metalwork recovered through survey.
See report (S1) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S2).
S. Tremlett (NAU), 1 February 2001. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 8 April 2015.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- BURNT MOUND (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BURNT FLINT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WEIGHT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON COVER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Percival, J and Forrest, K. 1997. Report on Archaeological Watching Briefs at Bacton Natural Gas Terminal, Winter 1996/97. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 270. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1998. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1997. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 193-210. p 193. |
Related records - none
Find out more...