|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two spigot mortar emplacement|
This is the site of a World War Two spigot mortar emplacement, sunk in the grass, on the west side of the road between the 1877 and 1934 Middle Level Main Drain courses. It sits next to a sunken diesel store built in the 1930s, although the emplacement was intended to guard the bridge, rather than the store.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5876 1397|
|Parish:||WIGGENHALL ST GERMANS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Mortar spigot by underground structure.
On west side of road between 1877 and 1934 courses of Middle Level Main Drain. Mortar spigot sunk in grass. Immediately adjacent to grassed bunker with door at each end (blocked by barbed wire) and five concrete 'mushrooms' protruding from top. Five blocked rectangular openings to north-west (towards drain). Interior over twelve feet from floor to these openings at roof level (but just above exterior ground level). Probability is that this is some sort of defunct water control station, rather than a defensive position, and mortar spigot was positioned to guard it.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 July 1996.
The buried structure with mushrooms is a former diesel store of the 1930s according to . The spigot was intended to guard the bridge, not this.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 August 2003.
Assumingly during the landscaping around the new pumping station, the old fuel store was demolished late 2010 - early 2011.
W. Arnold (HES), 04 May 2011
- SPIGOT MORTAR EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...