Record Details

NHER Number:30902
Type of record:Monument
Name:Neolithic axehead and possible churchyard


A Neolithic flint axehead was found in the 1960s. This is reputed to be the site of a church and churchyard that was removed at the beginning of the 20th century. However, a church or chapel is not shown at this location on 19th century maps.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4397 1770
Map Sheet:TG41NW

Full description

Half of a Neolithic polished flint axe, (S1).
W.Milligan (NCM) 1 August 1994.

(S2) has 'Churchyard was here' marked at this spot post 1989.
Meaning? Not parish churchyard.
E. Rose (NLA) 2 November 1994.

The comment about the church derives from a report from source [1] that this was the last remains of a church and churchyard, being graveslabs, were removed early this century.
Information from W. Milligan (NCM).
However, (S3) shows nothing at this spot. To the west a T-shaped building is shown to the north of the house 'Shalimar' marked on current 1:10,000 which was not there then, but no indication that it was a chapel.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 May 1999.

Monument Types

  • CHURCHYARD (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Associated Finds

  • POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Document: Robins, P.A.. 1994. Lithic Report.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Illustration: Robins, P.. 1994. Drawing of a Neolithic axehead.. Paper. 1:1.
<S2>Map: NCM. NCM Record Map.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service