Record Details

NHER Number:30764
Type of record:Building
Name:Hill House


A two storey 18th century red brick farmhouse with a black glazed tile roof. L shaped in plan, the house has a main façade to the south, which has three window bays and a central doorway with a canopy on iron columns. The base of the western chimney stack has a coat of arms on a panel. The colourwashed rear wing also has three window bays and a stepped gable, with an entrance door at its northeast corner. The west gable of this wing has a second coat of arms, and two tie irons in the shape of the figure 9.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 3076 9369
Map Sheet:TM39SW

Full description

September 1951. Listed, Grade II.
18th century red brick. Black glazed pantiles. Two storeys and attics; L shaped plan. Main south façade of three bays; ground floor tripartite sashes interrupt platband. Central door and canopy on iron columns.
Stepped east and west gables. Axial stack with four linked shafts.
Coat of arms on square base. Internal east gable stack with three shafts.
Rear wing has off centre stack with six linked shafts, and stepped north gable. West gable has two figure 9 tie irons and a panel with arms. Gables stair outshut on north wall.
Information from listed building description (S1). Could the two figure 9's stand for 1699?
E. Rose (NLA), 5 August 1994.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 393.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1153556.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service