|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmarks of possible medieval to post medieval boundary ditch and bank|
Cropmarks of a boundary ditch and possible bank of medieval to post medieval date are visible on aerial photographs. This ditch partly follows the line of the Sedgeford and Ringstead parish boundary and a field boundary marked on a 1631 estate map of Sedgeford.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7226 3829|
|Parish:||RINGSTEAD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|SEDGEFORD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
25 April 1994. ADAS aerial photography.
Radiused corner roughly following parish boundary. White line with dark line each side. (S1) shows boundary as following two straight lines at an acute angle but this is probably diagrammatic and the cropmark probably represents a removed boundary bank.
Copy of print in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 25 July 1994.
March 2006. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of a boundary ditch and possible bank of medieval to post medieval date are visible on aerial photographs (S2-S5). The central grid reference for these cropmarks has been amended from TF 7212 3861 to TF 7227 3826. A curvilinear ditch cropmark is present on aerial photographs on a roughly north-northwest to south-southeast alignment for 924m between TF 7202 3868 and TF 7250 3790 (S3). The northern part of this ditch follows the line of the Sedgeford and Ringstead parish boundary for a distance of 150m. To the south of the modern road a broad negative cropmark is present on the eastern side of the ditch. It is possible that this represents a bank, but as the ditch roughly follows the contour lines at this point, it is possible that it is a natural feature relating to the slope. The ditch appears to partly correspond to a field boundary marked on a 1631 estate map of Sedgeford (S6) and is likely to be of medieval to early post medieval date. An additional section of possible ditch and bank, appear to continue this alignment for a further 270m to the southeast (S5). To the north of the main ditch is a short section of curvilinear ditch cropmark. This is located in Ringstead parish and extends for 198m on a northwest to southeast alignment between TF 7298 3679 and TF 7212 3665. This ditch does not appear to relate to field boundaries marked on a 1690 field map of Ringstead (S7) and is of unknown date.
J. Albone (NMP) 23 March 2006.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. Ordnance Survey (OS) 1:10 000. |
|<S2>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: ADAS. 1994. ADAS 611/163 25-APR-1994. |
|<S3>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1972. OS/72169 42-3 16-JUN-1972. |
|<S4>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1945. RAF 106G/UK/378 3040-1 13-JUN-1945 (NMR). |
|<S5>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: BKS. 1988. BKS 2443-4 07-AUG-1988 (NCC 4630-1). |
|<S6>||Map: 1631. Estate map of Sedgeford. |
|<S7>||Map: 1690. Ringstead Field Book Map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...