Record Details

NHER Number:30518
Type of record:Monument
Name:Rackheath Park


Probably a deer park by the late 16th century when the estate was owned by the Pettus family. From the later 18th century the estate was owned by the Straceys. The park was extended to the south, taking in part of former Mousehold Heath following the c. 1801 Parliamentary Enclosure of Rackheath. A new south entrance with lodges and an avenue were formed and new areas of woodland added. Between 1801 and the 1834 tithe map a new entrance drive on Wroxham Road was added. This was later replaced by a realignment of the earlier drive to the west which was given twin lodges and elaborate wrought iron gates and screen. The gardens and pleasure grounds around the house were also extended to the south east between 1842 and 1882. Used as an accommodation site by USAAF in WWII for neighbouring Rackheath Airfield. There are numerous remains of this period within the parkland.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2757 1279
Map Sheet:TG21SE

Full description

Historic Parkland on (S1), but not included in (S2). No maps provided with (S1) so boundary is open to correction.
In existence by 1794 with major woodland belts. Extended to south in 1834 over part of Mousehold Heath, new south entrance with lodges and avenue formed. Northeast and northwest approaches made before that date. Additional woodland present by 1844, lake dug by 1877, deer present. North entrance altered after 1886 (see NHER 8173). Lake extended 1886-1919 (see NHER 20138). In late 19th century there was a 'stove' and an orchid house, and shrubberies with walk across the lake; these went after 1919. Kitchen garden existed 1801, now gone.
E. Rose (NAU) 22 March 1994.

The Mousehold map of 1588 (for a discussion of which see NHER 8172, copy in that file) marks Rackheath Hall Domains with a paling around, indicating a park here at that date.
Pointed out by K. Penn (NAU).
E. Rose (NLA), 13 March 2004.

August 2010. Desk-based Assessment.
Full survey of the surviving landscape and comprehensive re-examination of the available archives.
Work undertaken in relation to the proposed Northern Distributor Road Scheme.
See report (S3) for further details.
A. Yardy (HES), 10 February 2011.

Monument Types

  • PARK (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk..
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England..
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Williamson, T. 2010. Rackheath Park: A Report on the Historic Landscape. University of East Anglia.

Related records

50740Parent of: Domestic site for World War Two airfield, within Rackheath Park (Monument)
8173Parent of: Gateway to Rackheath Park (Building)
50994Parent of: Possible enclosure of probable medieval to post medieval date (Monument)
50743Parent of: Possible track or hollow way of probable medieval or post medieval date in Rackheath Park (Monument)
20138Parent of: Post medieval bridge (Building)
50741Parent of: Probable World War Two military training area in Rackheath Park (Monument)
50995Parent of: Probable World War Two training area. (Monument)
8172Related to: Rackheath Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service