Record Details

NHER Number:25245
Type of record:Building
Name:25, 27 and 29 Station Road

Summary

Three joined late 16th century timber-framed cottages with a later (1656) brick and flint gable and stack. The building was divided at the time the brick/flint gable was added, but is likely to originally have been a communal building, possibly a guildhall. The houses underwent alterations in the 18th and 19th centuries, including the replacement of lower parts of the timber-framing with masonry. The southernmost bay of no. 29 seems to have been added as an 18th century bay replacement/infill. A disused oven in number 27 was found to contain a 19th century ritual coin hoard.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9618 2733
Map Sheet:TF92NE
Parish:RYBURGH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

17th century (possibly dated 165-) house with jettied timber frame and brick and flint gables.
Possibly constructed as a range of up to five tenements, or as one large building with attached shop or workroom; it is not possible to be more certain under present conditions. Alterations in 18th and 19th centuries, and Number 29 very much altered in 20th century.
19th century ritual coin hoard found in disused oven in number 27.
See full report (S1) and architect's plan (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 December 1993.

June 2010. Historic building report.
A 27m long late 16th century communal building, possibly a late guildhall. The building is likely to have begun to be divided into domestic tenements in 1656, the date at which the brick/flint northern gable-end of no. 25 was added (displayed in brick on the gable). The gable-end and stack, incorporating a winding stair, extended the original timber-framed building which stretched south to include most of no. 29. No.s 25 and 27 have a jettied upper floor in timber frame supported on a masonry wall. The building may originally have been entirely timber-framed, and it is possible that this survives in the eastern elevation. Some of the original timber-framing was replaced in the 18th and 20th centuries, due to the installation of consecutive replacement roofs. Evidence of an abandoned and filled-in large, domed oven survives in the west side of no. 27. No. 29 was the largest compartment in the original building, but was divided in the early 20th century, at which point it is known to have included the post office. Internally, the timber-framed rear wall of no. 29 is brick-faced; this is due to be removed as part of a major refurbishment. The southernmost bay of this house is likely to have been added as an 18th century infill/bay replacement.
See (S3).
E. Whitcombe (NLA), 30 July 2010.

October 2010. Planning Application.
Application to replace existing flat roof extention with a one and a half pitched roof extention.
See (S4).
Z. Dack (HES), 24 February 2011.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COIN HOARD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 370.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1993. Building Report. 25, 27, 29 Station Road, Great Ryburgh. Building Report.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2010. Building report on 25-29 Station Road, Great Ryburgh.. Building Report.
<S4>Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service