|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Clayrack Hollow Post Mill|
Hollow post drainage windmill formerly located in Ranworth where it had fallen out of use by the early 1900s. In the 1980s, it was moved to its present position on Clayrack Marshes and restored to pump water for demonstration purposes.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3691 1944|
|Parish:||LUDHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Hollow post drainage mill relocated here from Ranworth (NHER 23358) and restored in the 1980s. Only remaining example of a hollow post wind pump with fan winding, patent sails and scoopwheel and is substantially different from Palmer's Mill (NHER 15992).
E. Rose (NAU), 23 February 1987.
Architects drawings (S1) (pre 1992) as large rolled plans. Press cuttings (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).
6 July 1994. NLA air photography.
Mill/wind pump intact and visible.
M. Brennand (NLA), 13 March 2001.
- DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG3619/C, D, G, H. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 604-605. |
|---||Photograph: 1992. Photograph of Clayrack Hollow Post Mill, How Hill, Ludham. Colour. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||*Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984-1987. [Articles on the resiting of Ranworth post mill]. |
|23358||Related to: Site of Ranworth Hollow Post Mill (Monument)|
Find out more...