Record Details

NHER Number:22858
Type of record:Building
Name:Canal Farm House


This early 18th century two storey thatched farmhouse has a patterned brick front and irregularly spaced later windows. The interior has some original wood beams but much has been replaced.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3235 2724
Map Sheet:TG32NW

Full description

Brick, thatched. Two storeys, irregular fenestration, façade with burnt headers. Central doorway, two 19th century windows to left, one 20th century to right. Platband between storeys. Three 19th century windows and one blank on first floor. Internal gable stack to south, 20th century offcentre stack. Tumbled gables. Interior has jewel stopped bridging beams, double jewel stopped main room first floor. Roof of tiebeams, principals and two tiers butt purlins, much replaced.

Information from (S1) which dates all of building, interior and exterior, to early 18th century. But details of interior beams sound earlier than this.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 August 1986.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 560-561.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049985.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service