Record Details

NHER Number:22073
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible medieval moated site


In 1985, a waterfilled ditch was thought to be part of a medieval moated site. However, it seems more likely that this is a post medieval drainage feature.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0176 0740
Map Sheet:TG00NW

Full description

25 December 1985. Seen from road.
Waterfilled ditch, marked on Ordnance Survey Prov. Series 6 inch map.
Appears to be the northern arm of a moat, with the eastern arm suggested by a slight curve at the east end of the north arm. Interior, south of the ditch/moat is slightly higher than surrounding area with fine dark loam, in sharp contrast to raw boulder clay outside it. No trace of south or west arms.
A. Gregory (NAU), 30 December 1985.

1995. Site visit suggested by A. Rogerson (NLA) after planning application.
Pond forming much of northern boundary extends further west than on maps, with a gently sloping base. Possibly a source of clay for cottages.
3m wide drain (top of bank to top of bank) forms east and south boundaries joining onto pond to southeast. Despite curving nature of northeast corner, there is no evidence for a previously wider feature.
Gardens overlook lower ground to valley floor to the south, thus an unlikely moated location.
Probably 18th/19th century features, as no evidence for buildings here on (S1).
B.Cushion (NLA), September 1995.

Monument Types

  • DITCH (Unknown date)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 351.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service