Record Details

NHER Number:21703
Type of record:Building
Name:Badgers Farm, Short Green


This building began life as a hall house with a screens passage and service stairs. It was floored and a stack inserted and the parlour end rebuilt as a three storeyed building in around 1600. The upper floor of the hall was then heightened in around 1800. The associated barn dates to around 1800, and incorporates part of an older building.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1001 8619
Map Sheet:TM18NW

Full description

(Formerly Over Bridge).
Hall-house with screens passage and service stairs; floored, stack inserted and parlour end rebuilt as three storeyed around 1600. Upper floor of hall then heightened around 1800. Barn, around 1800 incorporates part of older building.
See report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1985.

June 1981. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Over Bridge, Short Green.
17th century house. Timber-framed, plastered. Steep gable-ended roof with new pantiles replacing thatch. Brick chimney stack off centre, two storeys and attic (attic casement with leaded panes in gable end). Three widely spaced windows. Three-light casements 18th century, 19th century and modern. Glazed modern door on left. Lean-to at rear.
Information from (S2).

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: CTH 17-27.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1301606.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service