Record Details

NHER Number:20654
Type of record:Monument
Name:Cropmark and earthwork of possible undated ditch or medieval enclosure


Aerial photography and early 19th century maps indicate some form of ditches and/or waterfilled feature on this site. A site visit in 1993 indicated some uneven ground, though the exact identity of the features is still unclear. They may relate to medieval fishponds, a ditch or a possible moated enclosure.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 5992 1145
Map Sheet:TF51SE

Full description

14 September 1984. Noted from tithe map and vertical aerial photographs.
Two larger than normal dykes coloured in blue on map (usually adopted for ponds etc) more fragmentary on present Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. Probably part of moat or fishponds. Note that vertical aerial photograph may indicate further traces of regular ditches in pasture west of Priory House.
R. J. Silvester (NAU), 17 September 1984 (site not visited).

1993. Southern part of site visited by E. Rose (NLA).
Bumpy area of pasture; difficult to make out anything on the ground, but 1969 vertical aerial photograph does indeed seem to show a rectangle here, crossed cy path from house to church. Northern part, where ponds shown on tithe map, is partly a flat grass lawn crossed by drive and partly arable.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 July 1993.

Extreme west area under trees, remainder cut pasture, surrounded by sheep fencing. Drainage pipes have been inserted at some time in the recent past.
H. Paterson (NLA), 18 November 1996.

Monument Types

  • DITCH (Unknown date)
  • ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: HSL UK/69/857 7021.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service