Record Details

NHER Number:20136
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory

Summary

This brick-built vicarage is dated to 1643 by an inscribed stone on one of the parapets. The front of the building features irregular windows added at a later date - sometime in the 19th/20th century. Of the numerous chimney stacks the most impressive is the massive external one abutting the north gable.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7062 4073
Map Sheet:TF74SW
Parish:RINGSTEAD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Dated 1643 as '16 M 43 HC' on stone coped parapet. Coursed squared and rubble carrstone, red brick dressings. Two storey double pile. Front (east) pile with irregular 19th/20th century fenestration, traces of blocked long-low windows. South gable with bow window. North gable with massive external stack. Main pile with axial cluster of four mid 19th century octagonal stack. Further rear pile ridge stacks.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 12 March 1984.

Monument Types

  • VICARAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 614.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077927.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service