|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Human remains, Late Saxon to post medieval pottery sherds|
In 1964 the clearance of this area, previously the churchyard of St Michael at Thorn (NHER 436), recovered human remains and some Late Saxon to post medieval pottery sherds.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2326 0813|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Located on corner of Thorn Lane and Ber Street.
Site of St Michael at Thorn church (NHER 436). 26 Ber Street.
Medieval and post medieval sherds from pre road widening clearance into churchyard of St Michael at Thorn (NHER 436). Human skeletal remains, Saxon to post medieval pottery sherds, some tin glazed sherds, and a possible 19th century jar.
The Norman doorway from here is built into St. Julian's.
Other rubble used to rebuild Hempton Church.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 29 October 1992.
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval to World War Two - 1066 AD to 1942 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|436||Part of: Site of St Michael at Thorn's Church, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...