|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Abbey House, Warham Road|
A flint and brick house dating from the 16th century, with substantial alterations from the 19th century. The house has a 17th century staircase, and a 13th century doorway, reused in the 19th century extension.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9829 3972|
|Parish:||BINHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
16th century flint and brick house with reset 13th century Early English doorway in 19th century rear wing, L shaped, southwest gable and stone eaves bracket in middle of north front, and northwest gable with filled in mullioned windows and brick quoins. About 1870 refaced and rear wing added to make double pile. Imitation mullioned and transomed windows of this date in gabled wing and canted bay. 3 storey tower in angle of L. Porch with pier and stone brackets. 17th century baluster staircase.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 July 1983.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 393. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...