Record Details

NHER Number:19395
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two gun emplacement


The earthworks of a World War Two gun emplacement and internal structure, are visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 and 1950.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0770 4214
Map Sheet:TG04SE

Full description

30 March 1983. Positive cropmarks.
Ring ditch in bracken/undergrowth.
D. Edwards, 20 July 1983.

March 1994. Visited by H.Bamford for HBMC.
This is not a ring ditch, it is a circular earthwork with entrance to the west, very probably a gun position connected with the decoy airfield NHER 13566.
E.Rose 10 March 1994.

See record form in file by source [1], who adds:
Ruins of quite rare 1940/45 gun position (uncertain).
Survey No. D2-95.
Comp. D.Walker (NLA) July 1996.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
Earthworks of a World War Two gun emplacement and internal structure, visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 (S1) and 1950 (S2). The emplacement consists of two opposing banks defining an oval emplacement, measuring approximately 13.5m by 10m, with entrances to the south-west and north-east. Clearly visible on the 1946 RAF aerial photographs (S1) within the centre of this enclosure is a polygonal structure at TG 0770 4214, measuring 3m by 2.5m, with a narrow projectile to the south-west, 2.5m by 0.5m. It is possible that this structure relates to the housing of the gun, such as the holdfast or tripod. It is also possible that it is the gun itself as the heath may still have been in use as an army training area, perhaps in association with the Weybourne Camp to the east (NHER 11335). There are around twenty gun emplacements on the heath, not all of these can have been in contemporary use. Another possibility is that they were being constructed for army training purposes.
S. Massey (NMP), 16 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 0742-J-K.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 3166-7 07-JUN-1946 (NMR).
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1950. RAF 541/440 4034-5 28-FEB-1950 (NMR).

Related records

23386Related to: Bard Hill World War Two radar station (Monument)
19394Related to: World War Two gun emplacement (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service