Record Details

NHER Number:19011
Type of record:Building
Name:Manor Farm, now Wheatsheaf Public House, The Street


A two storey brick and flint former farmhouse, now a pub, L-shaped in plan with shaped gables. It has the appearance of being mid to late 17th century, much altered, although it could equally be a recent copy of the style, perhaps on an earlier core. A 17th century child's shoe, possibly to ward off evil spirits, was found in a fireplace during conversion works in 1982.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1411 3967
Map Sheet:TG13NW

Full description

Photographs in (S1) show L-shaped building with shaped gables at 'head' and 'foot' of L (directions not given). Flint with brick trimmings. 'Foot' gable wall has central brick stack to gable, visible only above an eaves level string course. Another course at first floor level continues right round building.
Plinth topped in brick. Windows in side wall of this wing, and in main body of building on this face, on both floors are wooden-cross type but seem late copies.
Two doorways also appear late or altered. Small stack central to main block. Appearance suggests mid to late 17th century, altered.
Child's shoe of 17th century type found in 'knocking through a fireplace'.
However J. Denny (Norfolk County Council) believes the building is mainly a recent copy, though he does not rule out an old core.
Press cuttings (S1) and (S2) in file. Farmhouse converted to The Wheatsheaf Public House in 1982 to 1983.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1983.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) HOUSE (17th Century to Late 20th Century - 1650 AD to 1982 AD)
  • INN (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1982 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • SHOE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Mystery of old shoe in flue. 5 July.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Farmhouse now pub for West Beckham. 21 March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service