Record Details

NHER Number:1887
Type of record:Building
Name:St John the Baptist's Church and site of St Mary's Church, Stiffkey


St John's Church and the earthwork remains of the site of St Mary's Church. Both of these sites are medieval in date and are visible on aerial photographs. St John's is a mainly 14th and 15th century building, consisting of a west tower, north porch, nave and chancel, the nave embracing the earlier tower. The church was heavily restored in 1848. Inside are many important memorials to the Bacon family. To the east are the demolished remains of St Mary's Church, now just a mound.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9750 4298
Map Sheet:TF94SE

Full description

St John's Church, mainly Decorated and Perpendicular but heavily restored in 1848.
Many important Bacon memorials.
St Mary's Church, demolished, mound only remains.
See notes (S1) and press cutting (S2) in file. Listed (S3).
E. Rose (NAU).

Appropriate section from reference (S4) in file.

9 May 1998. Found by A. Rogerson (NLA).
Surface of flower bed north of nave.
Elephant ivory comb fragment, double-sided, with fine and coarse teeth (missing). Close parallel in MacGregory 1985 figure 47c (S5) (found in Southwark). Both ends lost, present length 30mm. Early 16th century to mid 17th century. See also Norwich Households figure 35 (S6).
(S7) NCM.
Seen by [1] who says 'fairly common'.
Identified by H.Geake (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 9 September 1998.

12 July 1994. NLA air photography.
Church clearly visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 22 February 2001.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
An earthwork mound interpreted as representing the site of St Mary's Church is visible on Hunting Survey photographs from 1969 (S8) and Ordnance Survey aerial photographs from 1973 (S9). The mound shows clearly on the Hunting Survey photographs (S8) and is located at TF 9750 4298. It measures 29.5m east to west by 8.5m north to south. The mound widens to a width of 11.5m towards the western end. This mound is likely to be made up of the rubble remains of the demolished church. On the Ordnance Survey aerial photographs (S9) a peculiar church shaped parched area is visible, which appears to overlie the mound to some extent. However, the feature is showing in the same manner as the surrounding gravel paths and parts of the churchyard. Despite the church-like appearance of the mark, it seems to be caused by recent activities and upkeep of the churchyard. Also the parchmark does not seem consistent with that of a demolished building, some of the lines appear too crisp.
S. Massey (NMP), 12 March 2003.

July 2007.
The base of the village cross, a medieval stone polygon, is now in the churchyard. Subsidence reported in churchyard. Probably due to loose soil used to form terrace when hall was constructed, now slumping into voids. Fragments of tile and slag noted. (S10) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 July 2007.

September 2007. Resistance Survey.
Details to come - publication due in Glaven Historian.
Information from [2].
A. Cattermole (NLA), 12 November 2007.

Before 9 November 2007, chance find.
Material gathered from surface and molehills including painted and unpainted window glass.
See description in file.
E. Darch (NLA), 11 February 2008.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOUND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Unknown date)
  • GRINDSTONE (Unknown date)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
  • ROOF SLATE (Unknown date)
  • ROOF TILE (Unknown date)
  • WASHER (Unknown date)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COMB (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9742 A-J,K,L.
---Article in Serial: Bradfer-Lawrence, H. L. 1929. Stiffkey alias Stewkey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIII, pp 308-340. p 310.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1898. Hundred of North Greenhoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol II. pp 49-55.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 9742M - Q.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 675-676.
---Article in Serial: Jones, H. 1879. Stiffkey: A Sketch. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VIII pp 143-166. pp 164-165.
---Leaflet: 2008. The Church of St John the Baptist, Stiffkey..
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Stiffkey.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1977. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Illustration of St Mary's Church, Stiffkey]. 15 April.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S4>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 216; p 54.
<S5>Monograph: McGregory, A.. 1985. Bone, antler, ivory and horn: The Technology of Skeletal Materials since the Roman Period..
<S6>Monograph: Margeson, S.. 1993. Norwich Households: Medieval and post-medieval finds from Norwich Survey Excavations 1971-1978.. East Anglian Archaeology. No 58.
<S7>Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white.
<S8>Aerial Photograph: Hunting Surveys Ltd. 1969. HSL UK/69/949 0139-140 20-NOV-1969 (Norfolk SMR TF 9643C, TF 9743B).
<S9>Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1973. OS/73244 189-190 05-JUN-1973.
<10>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2007. Site Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service