|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Medieval and post medieval finds|
A late medieval glazed pottery whistle was found in a garden in 1982. Other finds over the years include a piece of blue glass, the base of a post medieval port bottle and post medieval pottery fragments.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0660 1780|
|Parish:||LYNG, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1982. 33 Wensum Valley Estate.
Found in garden next to school (neither on 6 inch Ordnance Survey map).
Glazed pottery whistle, possible late medieval.
W. Milligan (NCM), 9 November 1982.
1986. Further finds.
15th-16th century Raeren jug base.
Bronze sheet; repair patch for bronze vessel?
W. Milligan (NCM), 19 February 1987.
21 November 2003.
Pottery whistle 42mm long, widening slightly at end, 11 to 13mm diameter, 7.4g. Fine oxidised fabric with traces of lead glaze with one copper spot. Central hole off-centre, 5mm diameter with three 'radiating' impressed lines. Sound-hole 23mm from end, 9 by 3mm. Mouth hole 4 by 2mm. Produces a high pitched sound. Late medieval to post medieval. Already recorded.
One piece of blue glass, the base of a Port bottle. Post medieval, late 17th to 18th century.
Two sherds of glazed red earthenware. Post medieval, 16th to 18th century.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA) and E. Darch (NLA).
E. Darch (NLA), 21 November 2003.
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- JUG (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WHISTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WHISTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...