Record Details

NHER Number:18086
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Thompson Hall


This is thought to be the site of Thompson Hall, which was the home of the Tooke family until its sale to the Walsinghams. It is thought to have been demolished around 1800, but a cottage and walled garden survived on the site until around the 1950s-1960s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 9221 9556
Map Sheet:TL99NW

Full description

Site of Thompson Hall.
Tom Martin's Church Notes contain drawings of panelling here dated 1544 (S1).
Informant states that this was the home of the Tooke family who sold it to the Walsinghams after a long dispute; it was then demolished in spite. This was around 1800. [1]
The cottage on Ordnance Survey 6 inch and the walled garden survived until 1950s/1968 when it was partially demolished for bricks to repair Merton Hall. [1]
No building is marked in this area on Faden.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 April 1982.

Mahogany doors from the Hall are said to be at the old Merton rectory now Silverdell in Thompson parish, but the date of the doors is not known.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 August 1997.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1540 AD? to 1800 AD?)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1540 AD? to 1800 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S1>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1730.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service