|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Walled kitchen garden, Gunton Hall|
The red brick walled kitchen gardens were built in the 1740s at the same time as Gunton Hall, NHER 6518. The garden buildings have been converted into houses, and a range of 19th century glasshouses have recently been restored.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2301 3416|
|Parish:||HANWORTH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Large, red brick walls, some later but most of comparatively early brickwork.
Almost 17th century in type.
This presumably indicates that the garden was built for the Hall of 1742.
Rougher bricks would have been used than for facing the Hall itself.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 4 November 1981.
April 1987. Listed, Grade II.
The wall of the kitchen garden, 18th century, is said to enclose 5 acres; gardeners cottage incorporated in wall on north side; spine wall with glass houses to the south. Lean-to brick and slate buildings to north now converted into houses. Castellated corner turrets.
Information from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 1 February 2006
19 August 2011. Planning Application.
Application received by North Norfolk District Council, to erect a single storey studio room.
Z. Dack (HES), 7 September 2011.
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 2234A,B,E. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373459. |
|30438||Part of: Gunton Park (Monument)|
Find out more...