|Type of record:||Building|
An impressive raised roadway, pavement and flint retaining walls built in several phases during the 19th century. In 1897 the architect A. F. Scott was commissioned to lengthen and widen the Gangway to improve access to the foreshore.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2210 4215|
|Parish:||CROMER, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Formerly a gulley, infilled with building rubble in 1860s.
Present street dates from 1882 and is a rare example of sawtooth granite setts with smooth tracks for cartwheels, to enable horses to pull loads up from the beach.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 September 1981.
The whole of The Gangway including the raised roadway, flint cobbled retaining walls and pavement listed grade II.
Dated as 1892 rather than 1882 and extended in 1897 by A. F. Scott.
See full history and description in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 July 2003.
Cromer Society note an unconfirmed report that when the flats known as Merchants Court were built at the south end in the 20th century, remains of a bridge predating the Gangway were found and destroyed without record.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 March 2004.
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Verbal Communication: Cromer Society. 2004. [unknown]. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2016. It’s a smooth passage across the cobbles thanks to a historic solution. 6 April. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF7191. |
|<S1>||*Verbal Communication: North Norfolk District Council. [unknown]. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1350363. |
Related records - none
Find out more...