Record Details

NHER Number:1655
Type of record:Monument
Name:Town Well


The well was dug in about 1760, and was in use until 1936. In the early 20th century a wooden hut was built over the well.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7656 3706
Map Sheet:TF73NE

Full description

7 June 1979. Visit.
Now removed for road widening.
Plaque in farm wall says that it was dug in 1760 and a tower was built over it in 1929.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 June 1979.

(S1) contains a photograph taken in about 1907 shows a wooden hut over the well with two doors in the side and railings at one end, and a notice that the well was 237 feet (72.2m) deep.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 December 1994.

(S1) and (S2) note that the well was sunk because of the scarcity of water in Docking, which was known as Dry Docking. The well was in use until 1936.
S. Spooner (NLA) 26 October 2005

Monument Types

  • TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. The 'well of life' for not-so-dry Docking. 23 December.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2004. [Postcard of the Town Well, Docking]. 21 January.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service