|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of moated motte|
A moated motte, or mound, was recorded by the antiquarian Tom Martin in the early 18th century. The feature does not appear on later maps, and its location is uncertain.
Images - none
About 1730. 'In the Park of 24 acres northeast of the church'.
'A moated motte'.
(S1) gives a sketch plan showing a mound with the river on the east, and a moat on the southwest and north. This does not seem to fit the Ordnance Survey maps. It does not seem to conform to the carrs east of the church and may be somewhere north of these along the river.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 August 1980.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOTTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1740. |
Related records - none
Find out more...